Reading Autobiography-A E Martindale

Reading Autobiography.

As a child, I remember reading lots of fiction books. I don’t remember reading when we lived in the United States, but I do remember going to our local public library and spending hours there. I loved taking books home, though the library was only a few blocks from home, I would take as many books as I was able to carry.  Once home, I would read to my sister and brother, but my most favorite thing to do was to read and record myself using our cassette player. I’m certain there are still cassettes floating around of me reading aloud. When we came back to the United States, I was entering 6th grade, a junior high, and my classes were in a language that I hadn’t spoken fluently if at all in 6 years. The library was my place to escape where I fit in and reading was the harbor where my accent wasn’t noticeable to those around me.  I found out that the library was a space I could go after lunch, and became friends with the librarian. She taught me how to help other students circulate books and shelve when the carts were full. The types of books I read expanded because of this. I still read mostly fiction, but I learned there was more than just 1 type of “fiction” book. I learned that I liked series because the main characters were familiar and the story “continued,” and because of that I read the entire Little House series!  I also enjoyed reading magazines, I enjoyed the fact if I finished a story or article in the magazine, another one would be available right after.   I read, I read a lot. At school, I mainly silent read, but at home I read in a whisper voice. Since I was I was able to hear myself as I pronounced words and was able to self correct myself. I honestly feel, that reading allowed me to “lose” my accent. I read all through junior high and high school. A lot of what I read during the school years was assigned reading and magazines, from “teen reads” to Reader’s Digest. My “pleasure” reads were done mainly in the summertime and going to the public library.  I still enjoy reading. Even as an adult, before I started teaching, I would read mainly fiction, self-help books, and magazines.  My reading styles have not changed much as I still enjoy reading YA books and picture books. I encourage my students to read all types of books and don’t limit them to a certain category.  I truly believe that picture books are for ALL ages of readers. I love getting suggestions from my students of all grade levels on what I should read next, and what I should order/buy for the library.  I enjoy having conversations about books with my students and feel that they value my opinion on books I’ve read as well.

Comments

Popular Posts

Podcasts

Comics, Comic Strips, & Avatars in the Library

Reflections of LSSL 5391