Podcasts




Podcasting is a great way to listen to a variety of things and also share about things you know.  Podcasts are not only radio show topics, but also include cooking, crafting, podcasts for dog lovers, devotionals, edtech, educational, and yes, even podcasts for those who enjoy Pokemon. If there is something that interests you, there is most likely a podcast for you to listen to.  Librarians and teachers can use podcasts for simple things such as book talks, but they can also be used for someone who is being interviewed for their thoughts about a book, and can be used for book club discussions. Instructional materials for the library can also be recorded in the form of a podcast.  The possibilities are truly only limited as you wish for them to be.  

Here are a couple of good reasons to using podcasts in school:

     ~Flexibility-podcasts are open 24/7 & on different devices

     ~Most people will listen longer than they will read/watch 

    ~ Benefits for those with mental/visual impairments

Great article about podcasts in the library by School Library Journal. https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=prime-time-podcasts 

There are different platforms for creating and publishing podcasts. 

Here are 3 that I worked with.

  1. GarageBand
    1. Advantages 
      1. Installed in iOs devices-Free
      2. Easily record and edit voice script
      3. May add sounds from included instruments or pre recorded soundtracks available
      4. May save files directly onto devices, upload to a cloud drive, or email to others
      5. Saved files could be sent to others to add to merge to complete a project
    2. Challenges
      1. iOS devices only
    3. Caveats
      1. Suggest you watch tutorials to get used to using if you’re new to the platform, or haven’t used in a while as they are constantly updating.  

  1. Anchor

    1. Advantages 
      1. Web/Browser version, Android & iOs platform
      2. Free
      3. Can use Google Sign in 
      4. Can publish podcasts from mobile device or web
      5. Can create Public site landing page
      6. Library of sounds that can be used in the recording
      7. All in one podcast platform-
        1. Can 
          1. Create
          2. Distribute
          3. Monetize your podcast from any device
          4. Collaborate or have guest speakers join in easily
    2. Challenges
      1. None 

  1. PodBean

    1. Advantages 
      1. Free
      2. Web, iOs & Android compatible
      3. Can use Google Sign in
      4. Can publish audio & video podcasts
      5. Can create Public site landing page
      6. Can publish podcasts from phone/mobile device
    2. Challenges
      1. Offers a lot of different options which can be cumbersome for those that just want to publish their work and distribute on their own. 
    3. Other
      1. Offers a premium/paid platform

My recommendation

For Creating:  GarageBand was my choice to use to create our podcast. While it only works on iOS devices, the things that it offers is great. As an educator, I want to make sure that what I create uses images and sounds that are fair use, and GarageBand offers fair use sounds.  I liked that I could then choose the publishing platform for my podcast/audio file, and can even just share it using the share link when I save it onto Google Drive. 
For Publishing:  I like Anchor for publishing. I can work on something from my desktop and the app version will update immediately.  The connectivity between the browser/web version and the app is great. I was able to take my m4a file and drag/drop when on the web version or click the file on the mobile version.  I like that while I do have an ipad, I can work on my podcasts on either my phone, my ipad, and a pc. 

My team and I worked together to create a podcast about Copyright & Fair Use.  Listen here.


To find podcasts for you to listen to, think about your interests in regards to librarianship. Look at publishers, the organizations which you belong to like American Library Association, Texas Library Association for any podcasts that they may publish.  If technology is something you want to learn about, find podcasts from edtech gurus and associations. New to the library world? Look at seasoned professors as some offer professional development that way.

Comments

  1. I am so glad you shared the information about the Follett Learning podcasts. I was not aware of them. I am definitely going to have to take a look at them. It is truly amazing the number of topics that are available through podcasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I have found-if you can think of it, there's a podcast for it. It may not be of the best quality, but it helps me show my students that the audience is there ... I had a goal of doing podcasts with my 5th graders this year, COVID-19 took that away. I hope I can work it in next year.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! It is so whimsical and inviting. It makes me want to peruse through your blog. I love your color palette choice as well--just delightful! I also enjoyed your podcast. It was very informative regarding copy right and this was perfect for both students and adults. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, our goal was to create something that we could use with anyone. We are excited to actually publish it and share it with others. Thank you for the compliments on the blog, I have worked to change things around to make sure that it maintains a peace to it.

      Delete
  3. Great information. We used podbean to create. Garageband is a little overwhelming but I'm betting with practice it would be a great way to have creative podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it too. I have noticed that they do updates often and though I keep notes on what I did, sometimes they aren't helpful because they have changed things. I will also say I was NOT an iOs/Apple person for the longest time (I still prefer my phone to be Android,) and have learned to like my work iPad.

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I am have a list of things I never got to do with my current 5th grade students that we had compiled at the end of the year last year. I hurt for them because we worked on it together. I have to keep it and share with their next librarian and to use with my incoming 5th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never get tired of reading your blog posts! You always keep it interesting and fun with Bitmojis. I also appreciate how you organized your information into bullets, making it more simple to understand. I agree with your reasons why podcasts are good. Podcasts will be available 24/7, are beneficial for people with certain disabilities, and are good for the auditory learners. Thank you for your honest critiques on the different podcast platforms. I agree that Anchor is great for publishing. Your podcast on Copyright and Fair Use is great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Comics, Comic Strips, & Avatars in the Library

Reflections of LSSL 5391